February 9, 2008

Impro Exercises

21.11.2007

Today I had a really challenging lesson. The thing which I'm afraid the most of theatre is getting up on the stage with no preperation, in front of couple of eyes and talk. Or move. Or communicate... today was the first real time that I tried to get over this fear by improvization.

We did couple of exercises this lesson, such as:
  • Freeze impro (space jump-hyper space)
  • Freeze impro - Total of 4 actors enter, change topic
  • Statues - mold a person / 3rd person improvises
  • My 3 things (running around with a partner and introduce him to your world)
  • Threes impro - enter in the same impro
  • Tilt (solo)
  • Word association
  • Playing another person's hands
  • Clap, clap - one person enter, do something spontaneous
  • Finish my line
  • Alphabet impro

The whole point was to learn how to let yourself go and just go on with what you feel without planning at all, or as Steve said, "accept the offer". I found it really hard and in the few first excersies all I did was planning exactlly what am I going to say or do, because I was afraid it won't be good enough. The hardest excersise for me was "Finish my line"-it wasn't only about accepting the offer, it was also about trying to "read the sub-text" that your partner is trying to tell you so you can respond in a way that will make sense. After couple of exercises I got the idea, just let yourself go, don't be shy, there's no right or wrong, and I felt that I improved.

The main skill I've got from this lesson is to stop getting stressed. No one will criticize you, when a group of actors play, they are all in the same position. I've got the support from my classmates and it made my comfortable.

No comments: